Monday, January 10, 2005

Why A Rural Education Blog?

After the euphoria of putting my first post on Mr. Rural ED subsided (about 30 seconds), a new emotion emerged: panic. What was I thinking setting up a blog where readers expect you to write something interesting? Why would anyone want to read commentary on rural education issues? What am I going to write about next? My mind was paralyzed with fear.

The panic lasted until the next morning's shower when I came up with three topics I wanted to write about and that at least a few people might be interested in. Unfortunately this post isn't about one of those but is about why the world needs a rural education blog.

The short explanation is that there are a lot of things about rural education I would like to say and that I think need to be said. I think the federal government isn't doing enough for rural schools. I think some folks are too willing to accept the periodic crumbs the federal government throws to rural schools because they don't realize they deserve more. I think rural schools should get their fair share—no more, no less.

I think every rural school can be great, but many are mediocre. I think the problems facing rural schools are complex and require multifaceted solutions. I think the following adage is true: "For every problem there is a simple solution, that is wrong."

I think No Child Left Behind is designed to address urban issues and is ill suited to rural communities. I think the Rural Education Achievement Program is a good program but isn't enough. I don't think a community of 24,000 is rural.

I think the role of public schools is to serve the pubic. I think most educators believe the role of public schools is to serve the individual student. I think those people need to go back and take an American Government class.

I think we need a thoughtful discussion about what rural schools should, can, and need to become. I don't think that discussion is going to happen unless people are willing to tackle the tough questions. I don't think that discussion will take place if the federal government or some other organization is in charge of it.

This blog is my contribution to that discussion.

No comments: